A fire gutted a daycare in Deer Park Thursday morning, just one week before it was set to open.
The fire started just after 4 a.m. at what used to be Westside Pizza. The fire was located primarily in the attic, but spread quickly, collapsing the roof. The building is a total loss, though firefighters were able to get some of the equipment and furniture out.
"I'm sure she is in shock right now and just trying to get through the morning," Megan Hill, public information officer for Fire District Four, said.
?My kids went to daycare with the lady that is running this one so they have been taken care of by her," she added.
When owner Becky Balka finally arrived at the scene she was crushed.
?When you look at this and see this behind you? It's not even real to me yet. We haven't even opened yet, but we were planning on opening next week,? she said.
Balka said she had put about four months worth of work into remodeling the building, and was one week away from opening. She was just waiting on a license to start enrolling children at the daycare.